Friday, September 5, 2014

Garden Update Part Two: 2014


Ladies and gentlemen, we have vegetables! Lots and lots and lots of vegetables!

The past few weeks, our garden has been giving us so many delicious fresh veggies, and we couldn't be more excited about it! At the beginning of August, we decided the tomato plants were getting too tall and the cages weren't able to support their height. A good problem to have, but still we needed a fix. We got creative with supplies we had on hand and ended up using zip ties to tie the to tall posts in the center of the plants.

Remember when I said I was excited for a salsa garden? Well, a salsa garden I got! I whipped up three batches of salsa last week, and I am planing to make even more this weekend. 


Not too much difference in August, at least not much that you can see from a distant picture. But if you look closer, there is a whole lot of growing going on in there.




It seemed to take forever for our tomatoes to redden, but now that they have, we have tomatoes growing out of our ears!



Our cucumbers are also doing great! One day I was saying how sad I was that none were growing, and then all of a sudden 8 were ready to pick. We have not been able to keep up with the cucumbers at all. For a while, every time we ate one, we picked two more!


Our peppers are also doing really well, but I decided I may need to double the green pepper plants for next year. We have had a decent amount of them, I just feel like if we have more, we would definitely eat them right up. 


We also planted red onions, and they grew, but they are very tiny. I just purchased them at a nursery and transferred them to the ground, but I am thinking they just didn't have enough room to grow. I haven't decided if I will plant onions again, but if I do I will be sure to spread them out. 


As our first garden, we are very pleasantly surprised with how well everything grew! 
We will most definitely be planting another vegetable garden next year!

How are your gardens doing?
Does anyone else have vegetables coming out their ears? 



6 comments:

  1. These look so great! When did you initially plant the garden? I want to have a garden next year, but I'm not sure when to put the plants in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! :) So glad to hear you had success with peppers - I've never gotten any to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, good job on the garden! The only thing I can seem to grow sort of well is tomatoes, blueberries and strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! I definitely need to try to do a small garden next year, I'm jealous of all of your fresh veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're just growing herbs since we live in an apartment, but so far everything has stayed alive, which is better than we did last year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some beautiful veggies! Our tomatoes are starting to slow their growth, but they are still putting out tons of tomatoes! I wish we had peppers, though!

    ReplyDelete